Monday, April 12, 2010

REWARDS!: AFROBEAT!

Man, I have been slacking. But you're going to have to give me a break. This one was a toughy. Sure, I haven't been up to much and I should have gotten to work on it much sooner if I thought it was going to be a problem. But I didn't, so take that internet. Plus, these mixtapes aren't supposed to be your main source of new music. That's a shit ton of pressure! So much pressure!
This blog is to open you to new genres. Like the genre? Do some research, find some songs you like! and then send them to me to make my job easier heheheh



AFRO
Afrobeat Mixtape

I cannot describe how much trouble I had with this mixtape. Afrobeat is a product of the 70's. It's origins are more or less from the heart of Nigeria. It's more of a subgenre if anything. But damn is it amazing. I have spent many road trips and flights with this stuff in my ears. In fact, I don't think I've ever not listen to some bit of afrobeat on a flight. This music says "travel time" to me. It's adventure music. The problem with finding the "good stuff" though is that most of the songs are still mainly both listened to and bought on vinyl. I've had to spend 2 weeks on this thing. I just didn't have the collection for it. I had a few samba and latin compilations with afro tracks on it, but that was about it. So, yet again this genre has lived up to it's feel. It was an adventure trying to find these tracks. Both the hardest to compile and the most rewarding so far. So, eat of the fruits of my labor and enjoy this mixtape.

Trackss:

  1. Mamaya - Souljazz Orchestra
  2. Upside Down - The Darktaris
  3. Pas O Soué La - Abel ZENON
  4. Dorrough + Fela Kuti - Wallpaper (<- from the mixtape they put out back in Jan. check it)
  5. Dima Bolane - Le Ry-Co Jazz
  6. Cooba Edit (Daz-i-kue Mix) - Wale Oyejide
  7. Already Doin It - Orgone
  8. Expensive Shit - Fela Kuti
  9. Noude Ma Gnin Tche De Me - Orchestre Poly-Rythmo De Cotonou
  10. Congo (Sao Benitez Mix) - River Plate Samba Orchestra
  11. El Nino (Big Band Mix) - Coleman Brothers
  12. Ipe Amarelo - Quasim
  13. Agnon Dekpe - Orchestre Poly-Rythmo De Cotonou
  14. Kilode (Carl Craig Straight Mix) - Tony Allen
  15. Dirt And Blood - Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra
  16. Crache La Douleur - Fanga

Sit in a room, turn your heat up, hold a glass of rum in your hand, buy a tropical bird(put in same room), listen to this mixtape.

See you next week.

TvT

No comments:

Post a Comment