Monday, May 17, 2010

Down, the soundtrack for it.

I'll be honest, this week was left a lot to be desired. I'd love to bare all, but for the respect of others that would be less than appropriate. And in times like these, I have a fall back in my music. There is a certain genre that has been there for me in my time of need. Whenever I'm feeling pensive or feeling as though I need to rest my head, I listen to Downtempo. I have a large collection of it. I always have. When I was first discovering my tastes in the music world, a good friend of mine recommended that I take the time to listen to The Album Leaf. I needed this type of music before I even knew what it was called. From there I began my research. I ran across a band that made me rethink what was possible in music, Telefon Tel Aviv. I mean this in the least cheesy way possible: This band changed my life. So I decided that it would be only fair to start this mixtape with one of their tracks.



[+]


Death to Your Destroyer

Downtempo Mixtape

I'll try to explain this genre as best as I can without rambling on about it. Downtempo means a lot to me, so I have quite a bit to say about it. I'll try to keep it to a minimum.

Downtempo is pretty self explanatory. Traditionally, Downtempo keeps below about 85 BPM. It's glittery and beautiful; harmonic and relaxing; both simple and complex. Think ambient music with rythymic features and a lot more production time.

This genre will always have a very dear place in my heart, I have a lot of memories this music has invested in. I hope the same happens for you.

Trackss:

  1. Fahrenheit Fair Enough - Telefon Tel Aviv
  2. Nude - Three Leaves and A Head
  3. Within Dreams - The Album Leaf
  4. Satellite Anthem Icarus - Boards of Canada
  5. You're Better Off (Dntel mix) - Erin Lang
  6. There Is No There - The Books
  7. Faking the Books - Lali Puna
  8. Love Your Abuser - Lymbyc Systym
  9. Caresses - M83
  10. The City - Milosh
  11. Last Songs - Dntel
  12. Shadows (M83 Remix) - Midnight Juggernauts
  13. September Song - The Album Leaf
  14. Freedom Blade - This Will Destroy You & Lymbyc Systym
  15. The Inner Shore - Tim Hecker
  16. The Disconnect - Tycho
  17. Afterclap - 13 & God

There it is. I hope you can see and feel what I do in this genre.
Good luck this week.

TvT

No comments:

Post a Comment