Monday, March 29, 2010

SHRED/SHRED/SHRED//SHRED

This blog is slowing making me realize how lucky I am. The average person despises Monday with every fiber of their being. However, this is the day that I get to post a mixtape! I love that!
It also helps that this past weekend was probably the best in a while. I quit an abusive job. I was woken up Saturday with a text for free lunch. Followed up with going to a massive vinyl sale. I found TWO Yusef Lateef albums (my favourite jazz artist, check him out.) And then after that I went on a bike ride with a good friend and got hit by a car. I got to smash a car with my body. Best part: No damage to myself! (as of yet) What's up, miracle?
And now the perfect end to the perfect weekend. MIXTAPE


Shred the Delaware
Math Rock, Post-Math Mixtape


After last weeks post, I realized that I had only posted genres on the electronic end of the spectrum. Nonetheless it's gotten good response, but that's only covering one genre in a sea of music. High School is when I started to branch into other forms of music besides what I would hear on the local radio stations. I figure that's what most youth do nowadays. Find something new and exciting as to not blend in with the rest of their peers. I don't condone that reason; However, I do condone the exploration into different genres, whatever the means.

As for me, one of the genres that definitely stuck during my exploration period were post rock, math rock, and other experimental forms of music. When I was 17, my interests could be easily broken down into 4 parts: Burritos, Zombies, Beards, and Math Rock. I'd say all of the subjects still stick, now there's just more complexity.

Speaking of complexity, allow me to explain this genre. Math rock is easily the most technical form of guitar driven music out there. Timing is key. In most cases it doesn't even matter what note you play, as long as it's at the right time. Rhythmically, you will hear some of the most talented drummers perform in math rock bands. Not only is the goal to play complex rhythm patterns, but also while chaining different time signatures together (4/4 into 5/3 into 3/4 etc.)
That's one of the reasons it's called math rock, you end up having to do math in your head in order to play in proper time.

I could go on for days about this genre. It's by far my favourite. But instead, why don't we just get to the track listing?

Trackss:
  1. Half Half & Half - Oxes
  2. Can I get More Steel in My Monitors? - you.may.die.in.the.desert
  3. 7/1000 - Volta Do Mar
  4. Goodbye - toe (The japanese band, not the Tortoise side project)
  5. Second Instrumental - Sharks Keep Moving
  6. Death Rides a Horse - Russian Circles
  7. Sea Song - Faraquet
  8. Christmas (etc.) - Lustre King
  9. Women Lifting Men - Pele
  10. Truck - The Octopus Project
  11. Ted Zancha - Maps & Atlases
  12. Playing with Pink Noise - Kaki King
  13. 1-800-Ghost-Dance - Hella
  14. It's Easy-eeeee To Be Full Of Shit And Look Good In Black - Giraffes? Giraffes!
  15. Futuristic Genitalia - Ghosts and Vodka
  16. Twelve - ¡Forward, Russia!
  17. Keep - El Ten Eleven
  18. Freckle Wars - Ecstatic Sunshine
  19. Details On How to Get ICEMAN on Your License Plate - Don Cabellero
  20. 777 - DD/MM/YYYY
  21. You'll Never Make It Home - Cats and Cats and Cats
  22. Race In - Battles
I hope you find this genre as wonderful as I have.

More to come.

TvT

Bonus video:
I'm definitely buying one of these when it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment